ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP
WITH TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery diced
3 T. olive oil
2 potatoes (about 3/4 cup), peeled, cored and quartered
1 apple, peeled and cubed
4 cups vegetable stock
sea salt and pepper to taste
¼ tsp. cinnamon
maple syrup to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Toss squash with 2 T. olive oil, salt and pepper and spread flat on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Roast for 25 minutes or until browned.
3. Heat the onion in the oil over medium high heat until it softens.
4. Add potatoes, apples and spices and continue to sauté, about 3 minutes. Add the stock, generous pinches of salt and pinch of nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
5. Add the squash and continue to simmer for 5 minutes
6. Remove from the heat. Puree in a high-speed blender or with an immersion blender. If the soup needs a little more sweetness add maple syrup to taste.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.